Friday, April 24, 2009

Playing in the Mud...

Although I'll be the first to tell you I'm a MODO lover through and through, there is another sculpting app that makes 3D life worth living, Mudbox. After being reminded by Steve Talkowski aka Sketchbot, I DL'd the 30 day trile copy of the new version of Mudbox from Autodesk yesterday to try it out. It had been a while since I'd played with Mudbox and I wanted to see what was new.

Now, as I'm a cute, cool, Japanesey robot, design type guy, this is far from the stuff I normally do, but I do have an inner love for alien beings and I thought it would be fun to throw my tests up for those of you interested in seeing the progress.
Once I got my bearings, I started pushing things around. The tools are simple and easy to figure out. At some point the shape reminded me of movies like Enemy Mines and the alien race from The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension... John Big Booty...hehe (oh and I'm sure there's a little Cardassian and Kamen Rider in there too). As this was just exploration, I didn't use any reference images from the a fore mentioned films, so they are more of a soft bounce, but they'll serve as my rationale...for now.

This took about 3 - 4 hours to this point and there's still a lot of detailing to do. The back needs way more definition and then I'll move to texture and then Paint. I'll post updates as they happen.

Feedback is always welcome.

*Note: Love that fact it looks like chocolate. d^_^b

Initial pass...

Current form rotation.
Front
3Q FrontSide3Q Back

Back3Q Top Down3Q Bottom UpBack

No comments: